We all know that meal prepping for a your entire family can be tedious and time-consuming. It is even more difficult to ensure each of these meals are healthy and nutritious. Today, we would like to show you how to make a 100% plant-based meal for the entire family without even having to cook!
On the menu for today’s meal is a chickpea ‘tuna’ salad. Chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) are a great source of protein with approximately 39g in just 1 cup! (1) They are also a great source of dietary fiber (35g per cup) and healthy fats such as omega-3 fatty acids (70.5 mg per cup). (1) Chickpeas also provide an abundance of nutrients: (1) (per cup)
- Folate: 71% Daily Value (DV)
- Iron: 26% DV
- Magnesium: 20% DV
- Phosphorous: 28% DV
- Manganese: 84% DV
- Zinc: 17% DV
Since chickpeas are packed with plant-based protein, they may help to promote fullness and keep you appetite under control. (2) This plant-based protein also helps with bone health and maintaining muscle strength. (3, 4) Additionally, eating this rich protein and fiber source may help to maintain blood sugar levels in individuals with Type 2 Diabetes. (5, 6)
Now that we know all the great benefits about chickpeas, lets get down to the bone and make our chickpea ‘tuna’ recipe for the family!
- 2 14 oz cans Chickpeas/Garbonzo beans (drained and rinse)
- ½ cup Vegan mayonnaise (Just Mayo, Vegannaise, Hellman's Vegan Mayo)
- ½ cup Red Onion, diced
- ½ cup Celery, diced
- ½ cup Carrots, shredded optional
- 1 Tbsp Parsley, seasoning
- 1 tsp Dill, seasoning optional but gives a nice ranch zest
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp Paprika optional, can also use cayenne or chili powder for a little kick
- First drain and rinse chickpeas.
- In a large bowl, mash chickpeas with a fork or potato masher until you reach a smooth consistency. I prefer a more chunky texture but this is completely up to your preference!
- Add mayo, onion, celery, carrots, and all seasonings and mix together until fully blended.
- This salad can be great for sandwiches, wraps, and as a dip with celery or carrot sticks!